Half a billion-year-old fossil reveals the origins of comb jellies 21 March 2019 One of the oceans little known carnivores has been allocated a new place in the evolutionary tree of life after scientists discovered its unmistakable resemblance with other sea-floor dwelling creatures.
- Bristol academic discovers ancient royal charter of King John 26 March 2019 A rare, original royal charter from the first year of King Johns reign has been discovered in Durham by a medieval historian from the University of Bristol.
- Landmark £1 million donation to boost Bristol’s research in Africa 22 March 2019 The University of Bristol has received a landmark 1 million donation to further its research activity and impact in Africa.
- Volcano cliffs can affect monitoring data, study finds 22 March 2019 New research led by the University of East Anglia (UEA) and co-authored by the University of Bristol reveals that sharp variations of the surface of volcanoes can affect data collected by monitoring equipment.
- Half a billion-year-old fossil reveals the origins of comb jellies 21 March 2019 One of the oceans little known carnivores has been allocated a new place in the evolutionary tree of life after scientists discovered its unmistakable resemblance with other sea-floor dwelling creatures.
- Ambitious plans for digital technologies awarded seed funding 21 March 2019 Plans for a world-leading cyber innovation network and a new creative media hub are one step closer to reality after a successful funding bid led by the University of Bristol in partnership with the regions universities, businesses and community organisations.
- Risk of miscarriage linked strongly to mother's age and pregnancy history 20 March 2019 The risk of miscarriage varies greatly with a woman's age, shows a strong pattern of recurrence, and is increased after some pregnancy complications, finds a study led by the Bristol Medical School and published in The BMJ today [Wednesday 20 March].
- Child and adolescent anxiety could be linked to later alcohol problems 20 March 2019 New research led by the University of Bristol has found some evidence that children and adolescents with higher levels of anxiety may be at greater risk of developing alcohol problems. However, the link between anxiety and later binge drinking and later frequency and quantity of drinking was more inconclusive.
- How religious reformers justified, but ultimately overthrew, the ‘empire of hell’ of penal colonies 18 March 2019 A fascinating new book which explores, for the first time, how religion was used to justify the creation of penal colonies, attempt reforms and ultimately overthrow the transportation of British and Irish prisoners is published next month.
- Bristol students take on burrito-biking, all-night badminton and 24 hours of tennis 18 March 2019 This week, University of Bristol students will be taking on 10 hours of non-stop sporting activities for the annual Ignit10n fundraising event. The heart of the Clifton campus will be jam-packed with a carnival of sporting challenges to raise money for local charity, Above & Beyond.
- Bristol provides first long-term look at predictors of suicide attempts 14 March 2019 Academics at the University of Bristol have taken the first long-term look at potential factors that could lead to suicide attempts in high-risk young people.