News and features
Update on the University of Bristol’s response to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak - 19 March 19 March 2020 In the midst of the COVID-19 outbreak, the health and wellbeing of our students and colleagues is our top priority.
- University of Bristol Professor leads global charge to protect the incarcerated during COVID-19 pandemic 2 April 2020 A University of Bristol Professor is calling on authorities across the world to take emergency steps to safeguard the health of people deprived of liberty during the COVID-19 (coronavirus) crisis.
- Natural light flicker can help prevent detection 1 April 2020 Movement breaks camouflage, making it risky for anything trying to hide. New research, published in the Proceedings of the Royal Society B today [1 April] has shown that dynamic features common in many natural habitats, such as moving light patterns, can reduce being located when moving.
- UK genome analysis has important implications for COVID-19 clinical trials 1 April 2020 Scientists at the University of Bristol who have been sequencing the genetic material from SARS-CoV-2 the virus that causes COVID-19 have highlighted important implications for scientists around the world conducting vaccine trials aimed at preventing the disease. The findings are published on the preprint site bioRxiv.
- Cooperative male dolphins match the tempo of each other's calls 1 April 2020 When it comes to working together, male dolphins coordinate their behaviour just like us. New findings, published in the Proceedings of the Royal Society B by an international team of researchers from the Universities of Western Australia and Bristol, provide insight into the importance of physical and vocal coordination in alliance forming animals.
- £5 million boost to Bristol research projects from European Research Council 31 March 2020 Two projects led by scientists from the University of Bristol have received grants totalling more than 5 million from the European Research Council (ERC).
- Bristol medical students to qualify this week to enable them to support NHS in COVID-19 crisis 31 March 2020 More than 220 final year medical students from the University of Bristol will qualify early this week to enable them to work as doctors in the NHS during the COVID-19 crisis.
- Five ways to create household harmony during lockdown 27 March 2020 As the nation grapples with public lockdown, the reality of all living under the same roof has taken on a whole new meaning. Cohabiting families, couples, and housemates across the country will be seeing rather more of each other for the foreseeable future, putting those relationships under unprecedented pressure.
- How to stay physically active during coronavirus restrictions 27 March 2020 With the coronavirus pandemic leading to people across the nation being confined to their homes, experts at the University of Bristol have created some guidance to keep people active.
- Global study shows how marine species respond as oceans warm 26 March 2020 A global analysis of over 300 marine species spanning more than 100 years, shows that mammals, plankton, fish, plants and seabirds have been changing in abundance as our climate warms.
- Bristol develops photosynthetic proteins for more sustainable solar-powered devices 24 March 2020 A team of scientists, led by the University of Bristol, has developed a new photosynthetic protein system enabling an enhanced and more sustainable approach to solar-powered technological devices.