University of Bristol awarded £100 million to drive 'tech for better futures' research 10 July 2019 A new 100 million institute, based in the centre of Bristol, is set to transform the way we create, utilise and evaluate new digital technologies to benefit our society now and in the future.
- Honorary degree for football legend Gary Mabbutt 19 July 2019 Football legend Gary Mabbutt, who was born and bred in Bristol before playing for England, has today [19 July] received an honorary degree from the University of Bristol.
- Left wing radicalism linked to sympathy for violent extremism 19 July 2019 The more strongly someone agrees with the ideas of revolutionary left-wing groups, the more likely they are to sympathise with violent extremism, finds a first of-its-kind study.
- When the moon came to Bristol 19 July 2019 The Apollo 11 mission landed on the Moon on July 20, 1969, enabling the first man to walk on its surface the next day - 21 July. The mission returned to Earth a few days later, bringing back safely the astronauts and a precious load of lunar rocks.
- Bristol medievalist elected as Fellow of The British Academy 19 July 2019 Professor of Medieval English Literature, Ad Putter, from the University of Bristols Department of English, has been made a Fellow of The British Academy, the voice for the humanities and social sciences.
- Honorary degrees awarded at the University of Bristol – Friday 19 July 2019 18 July 2019 The University of Bristol is awarding honorary degrees to Gary Mabbutt MBE, Professor Howard Wheater FRSC, FREng, and Gillian Guy CBE at degree ceremonies taking place today [19 July] in the Wills Memorial Building.
- Connect for the best view at this year’s Harbour Festival 18 July 2019 The University of Bristol's Smart Internet Lab is part of a consortium bringing tech innovation to this years Bristol Harbour Festival, giving visitors a 360 view of all three stages on their smartphones.
- Prestigious Royal Society honour for Bristol academic 18 July 2019 Professor Varinder Aggarwal from the University of Bristols School of Chemistry has been awarded the prestigious Davy Medal from the Royal Society for his outstanding contribution to the field of chemistry.
- Kevin Elyot Award 2019 17 July 2019 International playwright, translator and lecturer Erdem Avsar has been selected as the fourth recipient of the annual Kevin Elyot Award by the University of Bristol's Theatre Collection.
- Bristol rugby student ‘tries’ and graduates on a high 16 July 2019 This academic year has been one of tries and highs for University of Bristol student and professional rugby player, Joshua Ibuanokpe, who will graduate this week with a degree in Physics.
- Student-led hub for nutrition in medical education wins BBC Food and Farming Award 16 July 2019 A student-led organisation that aims to promote the need for greater nutrition and lifestyle medicine training within medical education has won a prestigious award at this year's BBC Food and Farming Awards. Bristol Medical School students, Iain Broadley and Ally Jaffee, co-founders of Nutritank won the Pat Llewellyn New Talent Award.